The UK’s car industry has been hit by a spate of recalls after its latest model, the Range Rover, was linked to at least five deaths.
The recall covers nearly 7,500 cars in the UK.
The latest recall affects cars sold between September 2018 and June 2019, but the number of models affected has been increasing since late April, with nearly 8,000 affected in total.
The range is currently the third most popular car in the country, after the Range and Nissan Altima.
The recall has already prompted a backlash, with many angry about the potential financial consequences of the recall and the potential for other accidents.
The Range Rover is one of a number of UK cars currently under recall following a report in The Sunday Times newspaper last month that the carmaker was “at risk of widespread problems” including the potential of fires, engine failures, or accidents.
“This is a tragedy,” said Chris Loughton, a member of the public who has written to the National Farmers’ Union (NFU), which represents the industry.
“It’s a terrible tragedy.”
A range of car makers have been ordered to recall their models, including Mercedes, Renault and Nissan, after The Sunday Sun newspaper published an article claiming the Range Rovers car could be “at fault” for five deaths, with the paper claiming a range of fire and engine problems in at least three cars.
In a statement on Friday, Range said it had already identified and addressed safety concerns with the vehicles, and said it would “take the necessary steps to remove the recalled cars from our supply chain”.
But the issue of safety was not the only issue raised by the newspaper, which also suggested the company was “dying to fix” problems that have been identified.
Loughton has written a letter to the newspaper’s editor, which was published online and has since gone viral.
He says he has been left “deeply saddened” by the “outrageous, unfounded and outrageous allegations” that are made in the article.
“The truth is that I have had the opportunity to meet many of the affected owners, many of whom I know personally, who are so upset by this, that they have been calling me for help,” he told the BBC.
“It is beyond comprehension how they could be so utterly unprepared for this crisis.”
He added that the media has “taken advantage” of the crisis and the “unacceptable situation” to “spew lies” about his family.
The paper’s article comes at a time when the number one issue affecting the UK car industry is a shortage of vehicles in the market.
In the past six months, the UK’s fleet has fallen by more than 2,000 vehicles, according to new data from the Office for National Statistics.
This is despite the fact that the UK is expected to overtake Germany in 2020 as the biggest car market in the world, with an estimated annual production of more than 30 million vehicles.
While the number-one reason for the UK government’s recent decision to introduce a new fuel-saving tax, the £2,500 cap on petrol prices, was criticised by some as “unfair”, others argued it would be better for consumers if the tax was raised to $15 per litre, which would raise up to $100bn per year.
The car industry, however, argued the move would create jobs and the economy, and would “make the UK an attractive destination for foreign investment”.
In a letter published on Friday by the car company, Range acknowledged that the latest recall was “complex and complex”, but said the problems were being identified and fixed.
“We have a comprehensive plan to ensure the vehicles we are recalling can be returned to the market,” it said.
“The company is committed to making the vehicles available to owners, dealers and customers.
We are doing everything we can to restore confidence in the car market and our ability to supply the British market.”
The company also noted that it was committed to providing “a full and fair recall” and said that “a thorough investigation” had been conducted.
The firm also said that it “strongly supports the work” of HM Revenue & Customs and the Serious Fraud Office (SFO) into the allegations.
“All of the issues identified by the Serious Investigation Team have been addressed and we are confident the company is not at risk of any further issues, particularly in the short term,” the company added.
“However, there is still much work to be done.”
Loughtons letter to The Sunday News, published on Twitter on Friday evening, has since received more than 6,700 responses.